Friday, June 10, 2011

Blast from the Past

State of Life: Enjoying my up-and-running swamp cooler - Ahhhh

Musical Input: The Holiday in the DVD player

I got a friend request on Facebook today from one of the core members of my group of friends from college. Talking to him brought back so many memories. While I don't wish to go back and relive that time of my life, it's easy now to simply enjoy the great, funny memories - like pranking a friend by cleaning his dorm room, complete with a short-sheeted bed. And I don't have to remember all the angst and stress of the time.

I spent most of my school career bouncing from school to school before finally spending my junior and senior years in the same school, so I have friends from all over the place. A different friend loves to hear my tales from this point of my life, because he says he's had a boring life. Not necessarily true, but that's for another post. While my life wasn't particularly that interesting, my friends were very entertaining. So I have quite a repertoire of stories.

Like the biology major friend, we'll call him Dave, who had a newt crawl in his street shoe while he was at track practice. He took it home to join with his pet iguana, but when he walked in, his roommate, James, was asleep. Apparently, it was somewhat startling to wake up with a newt two inches from your nose.

Then there was the time that Dave came to my room to study for a chemistry test and proceeded to eat a plastic mechanical pencil. Not sure how he didn't perforate something internal, but he ate it. He also pretended to get sucked under my bed - he said from killer dust bunnies, but given that was one of the few times my room was actually clean... I tend to doubt that.

A professor said that no matter how hard we think college is, it is actually the best time of your life. Honestly, it was hard to see that at the time, but he was so right. Those years were tough beyond belief and I had so many problems that seemed insurmountable at the time and I still had more fun than any other time of my life.

And we'll save the story of Dave getting me drunk, my one and only time, for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment