Monday, June 6, 2011

Odd Name for a Blog

State of Life: Starting over in so many ways

Musical Input: What I've Done by Linkin Park

Put my music on random and this is what I get. It's interesting, since my whole life has been completely upended in the last two years. Changes were made that I never, ever expected. I'm in a place that I never expected, and I'm in places where I'd only hoped to be.

To start with, I'm nearly halfway through a new degree. I have gone back to school for a computer science degree. I tried to go in 2004 for the same thing, but it didn't work out then. However, that's one change that I've welcomed. Others, not so much.

I know a lot of my friends would consider it karma, but I prefer to call it God putting me where He wants me to be. I am still writing, albeit a little more patchily, since I now have a class load to keep up with. It was worth the sacrifice since I got a 4.0 for the first time in my college career. I have two friends who are my own personal cheerleaders, plus several others who support me in many other ways.

On my writing, I finally got some solid feedback from someone who knows what's going on. My creative writing professor has published 100+ short stories and a novel, so he has some experience with writers' struggles. When we did our short story assignment, he said my manuscript was the most professional one he read in the class, which is saying something since I was in a class full of English majors. So I have a second wind to push onward.

When I first started trying to write to get published, I was in my mid-thirties and as green as you can imagine. My goal was to be published by my mid-forties. I thought giving myself a decade was reasonable, since I knew I wouldn't just walk in and sell a book on my first try. Well, I'm halfway through my time frame, and I've written three novels. Still haven't sold anything, but I think it's very encouraging that I haven't given up. I've had a few very big setbacks, but I don't want to stop. I know I can do this.

Oh, and my blog name? Let's call it motivation for myself. It's what I don't want to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment